Before You Begin
- Verify that your target server where you wish to host the Argos database meets the minimum requirements.
- If you wish to avoid rebooting your target server, ensure that you have .NET Framework 3.5 and .NET 4.7.2 or higher installed.
Using the Supplied SQL Server Express Installer
If you don't have a licensed copy of full SQL Server, Argos comes with Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express. You can install it from the Launcher by checking the SQL Server Express box. If you choose this option:
- Argos will install Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express
- Argos will set up a SQL instance called "Argos"
SQL Server 2017 Express Requirements
- Windows Installer 4.7.2 (Installed by default on Server 2008 R2 and Windows 7; available as an option via Windows Update for other Windows operating system versions)
- .NET 3.5 Service Pack 1
- .NET 4.7.2 (or higher)
- All Windows critical updates available from Windows Update
- No pending reboot requests from other software installations
If these components are not installed, SQL Server 2008 Express will require at least one reboot during the installation. If these components are in place prior to your installation, a reboot will not be required.
Using your own SQL Server
To install the Argos database to your existing SQL Server:
- Confirm that Mixed-Mode Authentication is enabled on your SQL Server installation.
- Verify that you have a SQL login and password with permissions sufficient to create and own a database.
- Run the Argos Install Launcher.
- Uncheck the SQL Server Express box but make sure the Argos Database box is checked.
- During the Argos Database installation process, you will be prompted to supply your SQL Server name, login, and password. If you have an existing SQL Server instance, type your SQL Server name in the format
- Allow the Argos Database installation to complete as normal.
Installing the Argos Database
If you plan to install the database on the computer where you unpacked Argos, then navigate to
C:\ArgosInstallers. Otherwise, navigate to your shared Argos deployment folder.
- Double-click SetupLauncher.exe.
- Check the Argos Database box.
- Check the SQL 2017 Express Edition box if you plan to use the built-in Argos SQL Server instance (see above).
- Click the Install button and follow the prompts on the screen to complete the installation.