There are 6 groups that are automatically created when Argos is installed:
Advanced Tracking: Instances of printers that will be tracked through Argos OnBoard or an integrated connector. All printers in this group will also be members of another group. No configuration options are available. This group cannot be deleted or renamed.
All Printers: A list of every printer in Argos, regardless of tracking method. All printers in this group will also be members of another group. No configuration options are available. This group cannot be deleted or renamed.
Default: The initial group for all new printers as they are created, regardless of tracking method. New printer instances should be moved to another group configured with the appropriate media after they appear.
Do Not Track: Printing to any printer in this group will be automatically sent to Recycled. PDF writers are automatically added to this group.
Large: A group designed for large format printers. The default media for this group is "Large". There is an assignment pattern defined for this group, so commonly-named large format printers from Canon, Océ, KIP, and HP will automatically be added to this group.
Small: A group designed for small format printers. The default media for this group is "Small".
Adding New Printer Groups: Printers tracked by Argos are grouped together based on the media to be assigned to the jobs they create or to further customize their tracking behavior.
Creating a Printer Group
- Click the "+" icon in the top right of the Printer Groups column and select Group
- Type a name for the new group that is descriptive of the media assignment or purpose of the group.
- Select the media to be assigned to jobs created by the member printers from the Default media for new printers in this group drop down list
- To allow the option to select more than one media when billing jobs in the Desktop Billing Client, click the Additional Media button and check the boxes next to the other media.
- Select the tracking option for printers that are members of the group: Interactive will trigger the Desktop Billing Client to appear on end user computers
- Automatic will bill activity silently to a specific project or be sent to the Recycle Bin without triggering the Desktop Billing Client. To bill to a specific project, select the radio button next to Assign activity to a project and choose a Project from the drop down list.The default Status can also be adjusted.
- To send to the Recycle Bin, select the radio button next to Send activity to Recycle Bin
- In the Printer Automation section, printer membership can be configured to occur automatically based on the name of the printer. The syntax of the name is a string of characters surrounded by the * wildcard character, separated by commas. Enter the wildcards and character string into the Assignment Pattern field. If reports will be filtered by location, select a printer default from the Location drop down list. Click OK to save and create the Printer Group.
Customize tracking by job type
Individual job types can be configured to track using the methods described above to further refine the billing behavior.
- Double click on the Printer Group to open the properties and check the box next to Advanced options.
- In the Advanced options pane, click the ellipse button next to the Job Type to be customized.
- Select the desired tracking options and click OK to save. Repeat the process for any other Job Types as needed.
Additional functions for some printers (RIP servers, MFPs, Wide Format Plotters, etc) can be added via Advanced Tracking. See Integration and Copy Tracking for specific details.