What is Argos OnBoard for HP?
Argos OnBoard tracks printing, copying, and scanning right from the panel of your FutureSmart-compatible HP printer. With As-Printed Tracking, Argos OnBoard for HP works with or without a print server–even in a serverless cloud environment for ultimate flexibility. Tracking that works around your print workflows instead of interrupting them.
Learn more about Argos OnBoard for HP MFPs.
Try a fully-functional 10-day trial of Argos today!
Setting up Argos OnBoard for HP
To install, you will need the following:
- A functioning Argos environment
- Access to Argos Manager
- At least one user set up with a PIN code in Argos Manager
Install Argos OnBoard for HP:
Device Configuration Part 1
- Open the web UI (http://deviceip).
- Log in as an administrator (by default the password is blank).
- If the admin password is blank, go to Security => General Security and set the admin password to a non-blank value. This is required by the web UI to set the access control settings.
Create Printer and Push Onboard Client
- Open Argos Manager and select the Printers tab.
- Click the + button at the top right of the Printer Groups pane, hover over Integration, then click on the Onboard for HP MFP option.
- Enter the IP address or hostname of the HP MFP.
- Check the Job Types you want to track.
- Enter the Printer Admin Password setup in Step 3 of the Device Configuration Part 1 Section.
- Select the Argos OnBoard for HP Server that corresponds to the Argos Server you want this device to use.
- Press the Install OnBoard Application button.
- Press the License button at the bottom left hand corner.
- Click the Printer Information tab and enter a printer name (e.g. "HP CM3530"). Assign the HP to the appropriate Printer Group, based upon the desired media (typically with a paper size or per page pricing basis. Optionally define the Location and Owner if they will be used for reports.
- Click OK to save the changes.
- On the HP MFP front panel, verify that authentication is now required.
Device Configuration Part 2
- Navigate to security => Access Control. If you see a message that this can't be configured without setting an admin password, you must revisit step 3.
- Confirm that you see "Argos OnBoard - Authentication" under "Enable and Configure Sign-in Methods". If you don't see it, you probably haven't installed it via Manager yet.
- Next, navigate to the "Sign-In and Permission Policies" => "Control Panel" (note the below steps apply only to the "Control Panel" section, not the EWS section).
- Select "Argos OnBoard - Authentication" in the dropdown in the top right under "Sign-In Method".
- Ensure the checkbox in the "Device User" column is checked for all features you want users logged in via Argos to be able to access (most likely all of them).
- Ensure the checkbox in the "Device Guest" column is unchecked (it will display a lock icon) for all features you want to require login for (most likely all of them). Note that if all checkboxes are unchecked (no guest access allowed to any features) that when a user walks up the printer they will immediately see a message informing them that they must sign in to access the printer. If some checkboxes are checked then they will see the home control panel, and won't be prompted to authenticate until they access a printer feature that requires authentication.
Allow users to choose alternate sign-in methods at the product control panel
If you have multiple authentication apps installed, you may wish to check this box. Even if it's unchecked it is still possible to log in on the control panel using the admin account (by selecting "Local Device" in the dropdown in the header).
Mandatory Sign-in => Use a custom message
If guest access is completely disabled (step 9) then the message "Sign-in is required to use this product." when a user walks up to the control panel. This section can be used to change this to a different message if you prefer.
Uninstalling HP OnBoard
- Open Argos Manager and select the Printers tab.
- Go to the Advanced Tracking group and double click the device to bring up the device settings.
- Go to the Argos OnBoard for HP Tab.
- Press the Uninstall OnBoard Application button.
Some important things to know about the Argos OnBoard for HP
- Some HP printers, including the CM3530, do not support loading packages through an external UI. For these printers, click the "Open Package Loader" link in the HP OnBoard screen, and manually copy/paste the three package links into the "Enter Package URL" dialog, one at a time.
- When using a USB proximity card reader, HP printers do not support connection or disconnection of USB printers at run time. Doing so may lock the MFP. Only connect or disconnect USB printers when the MFP is off.
- When using a proximity card reader, Argos only supports numeric card ID values. Argos does not support alpha characters in card IDs.
- When changing between keypad or prox card modes, you may need to refresh the MFP screen. This can be done by pressing the "Clear" soft button, "Reset" hard button, or attempting to log in (with a valid or invalid PIN).
Click here to see the current list of supported HP printers.