Argos can import billing codes from any delimited text file. The most common formats are comma (CSV) or tab (TXT), but any delimiter can be supported.
Prepare Your Text File
The text file should be in a machine-readable format. This means it should be separated into columns and not have extraneous information. At a minimum, we require two columns - Number and Name. The following columns are optional and can be included if desired:
- Active (yes/no)
- Project Manager username
- Project Manager first name
- Project Manager last name
- Project Manager domain name
- Project Type
Multiple Tiers Require Multiple Files
If you have multiple tiers - for example Client and Matter, or Project and Phase, each tier should be in its own file. The sub-tier should reference the main tier billing code number. For example:
ClientNumber, ClientName 0001, Watt 0002, Hurley 0003, Boon
MatterNumber, MatterName, ClientNumber 99,Watt Kayak,0001 95,Boon Corona,0003
Import Your Text File
- In Argos Manager, Projects section, click the + icon at the top left of the screen and select Import Projects… from the pop-up menu.
- In the Automate Projects window, click the Data source drop down list and select Text file. Click the Configure… link.
- In the Project Import Settings window, click the ellipse(…) button next to the File to import field, browse to the location of the text file, select the file and click Open.
- Select the appropriate file Delimiter. If the first row has the names of the associated columns, check the box next to First row contains headers. Click the drop down list next to Number and select the associated column. Repeat this step for the Name column. Click Preview to load a sample of the data format.
- Click Close to return to the Project Import Settings window.
- Click OK to close the Project Import Settings window.
- In the Automate Projects window, click Save. Click Run now to import projects immediately.
- In the Import Finished window, click OK.
- In the Automate Projects window, check the box next to Enabled and click the Schedule… button. In the Set Schedule window, adjust the frequency of the import task. Click OK.
- In the Automate Projects window, click Save and Close.