Because Argos 7 introduces new features and concepts not compatible with Argos 6, there is no direct upgrade path from Argos 6 to Argos 7. Instead, the strategy is to install the two versions concurrently, then switch from one to the other in a planned, strategic fashion:
I - Install
The first step is to install the Argos 7 Database, Manager, and Desktop components.
At this point you should not install the Argos 7 print tracking component, as it cannot co-exist with Argos 6 print tracking.
II - Test
Make sure you can launch Argos Manager.
III - Cutover
During the cutover process you will:
- Uninstall Argos 6 print tracking from your print server(s)
- Install and verify Argos 7 print tracking on your print server(s)
- Uninstall Argos 6 Billing Dialogs from your workstations
- Enable Argos 7 Desktop Clients on your workstations
Steps 3 and 4 can be performed in a single process via the Argos Deployment Center, a push deployment utility.
We recommend that you plan the cutover process to coincide with your billing cycle so that your monthly reports don't span multiple Argos versions.
- Uninstall Argos 6 print tracking
- On the machine where the print queues are tracked, navigate to Start>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs.
- Highlight "Argos Client" by clicking on it, and select "Remove" from the top menu in Add/Remove Programs.
- Click through the necessary prompts to uninstall the Argos 6 Print Tracking.
- Stop the Print Spooler service
- Navigate to Start>Run and type "services.msc".
- Right-click on "Print Spooler" in the list of services that are displayed and select "Stop".
- Windows may inform you that other dependent services will also stop. Select the option to stop those services as well, but make note of the names of those dependent services.
- Leave the "Services" window open.
- Delete the Argos 6 print processor
- Navigate to "C:\Windows\System32\Spool\prtprocs\x86" on a 32-bit machine or "C:\Windows\System32\Spool\prtprocs\x64" on a 64-bit machine.
- Delete Argprint.dll and/or Argproc2k.dll.
- Start the Print Spooler service
- In the services window that you left open earlier, right-click the print spooler and any of the dependent services you wrote down, and select "Start".
- For any dependent services that were stopped earlier, right-click each and select "Start".
- Install Argos 7 print tracking
- Select Start>Run and navigate to "\\YourArgosServer\Argos7Installers" (replacing YourArgosServer with the IP address or hostname of the server that hosts your Argos 7 install files). If you are on that server, you can simply navigate to C:\Argos7Installers.
- Double-click on "SetupLauncher.exe".
- Check the box for "Install Print Tracking" and then click on "Install Selected Components".
- Click through the prompts for installing the Argos Agent.
- Send a test page to one of the print queues that is hosted on the server you just upgraded.
- Look in the "Pending" tab of "Reports and Data" in Argos 7 Manager to ensure that your test page is tracked there. If the page isn't there, check the "Allocated" and "Recycling Bin" tabs, as the user you're printing with may be silently tracked to either location.
IV - Final Reports
In this step you will run your final set of Argos 6 reports, export data, or perform any other end-of-cycle billing operations as normal.
V - Decommission Argos 6
In this optional step you will uninstall Argos 6 Manager, database, and any other remaining Argos 6 components.
Prior to upgrading, check with Sepialine Support to confirm that any integration components you may have are supported in Argos 7. For example, older Sepialine "Pro" Terminals are no longer supported, and any device connected to one of these terminals would need to be configured to use Argos embedded tracking, or an Argos Keypad .