Argos OnBoard for Canon acts runs as an authentication application. This means that the settings from Argos related to the user are passed to the MFP during login.
If Argos OnBoard for Canon is NOT installed, users are prompted to enter their email address when using the Scan to Email functionality. When Argos for OnBoard is installed, they are not - the email address from Argos is used.
If a user cannot use the Scan to Email functionality of the device, the most likely reason would be that their email address is not set up in Argos.
Email addresses can be added manually, through an automated import from a CSV file or Active Directory.
Additionally, SMTP Authentication settings need to be configured to allow Scan to Email functionality. If the following prompt appears when accessing Canon Scan to Email settings, follow the steps below:
ImageRunner Advance MFPs
On ImageRunner Advance devices, these settings can also be accessed through the device's web UI.
- Open a web browser and enter the IP address of the ImageRunner Advance MFP
- If prompted, enter a PIN code for an administrator
- Click "Settings/Registration"
- Select "Common Settings" from the "Function Settings" menu
- Click "Set Authentication Method" link
- Set "Information Used for SMTP Server Authentication to "Device Settings"
- In some SMTP setups it's also necessary to adjust the E-mail settings under "Function Settings - Send", by removing the check mark next to "Specify Authentication User as Sender".
- Click "OK"
Canon ImageRunner Legacy MFPs
On ImageRunner legacy devices, the settings are done at the panel of the device.
- Press Settings>Registration on Canon MFP panel
- Click Function Settings>Send>E-Mail/I-Fax Settings
- Click Use SMTP Authentication for Each User
- Select "Off"
- Click "OK"
This will allow scan to email without prompting for SMTP authentication.