All print, copy, scan, fax and manual entry devices are managed through the Devices & Terminals section of Argos Manager.
There are 6 groups that are automatically created when Argos is installed:
Advanced Tracking: Instances of devices that will be tracked through Argos OnBoard or an integrated connector. All devices in this group will also be members of another group. No configuration options are available. This group cannot be deleted or renamed.
All Devices: A list of every device in Argos, regardless of tracking method. All devices in this group will also be members of another group. No configuration options are available. This group cannot be deleted or renamed.
Default: The initial group for all new devices as they are created, regardless of tracking method. New device instances should be moved to another group configured with the appropriate media after they appear.
Do Not Track: Printing to any device in this group will be automatically sent to Recycled. PDF writers are automatically added to this group.
Large: A group designed for large format devices. The default media for this group is "Large". There is an assignment pattern defined for this group, so commonly-named large format devices from Canon, Océ, KIP, and HP will automatically be added to this group.
Small: A group designed for small format devices. The default media for this group is "Small".
Adding New Device Groups:
Devices tracked by Argos are grouped together based on the media to be assigned to the jobs they create or to further customize their tracking behavior.
Creating a Device Group:
- Click the "+" icon at the bottom of the list of Device Groups and select Group
- Type a name for the new group that is descriptive of the media assignment or purpose of the group.
- Select the media to be assigned to jobs created by the member devices from the Default media for new devices in this group drop down list
- To allow the option to select more than one media when billing jobs in the Desktop Billing Client, click the Additional Media button and check the boxes next to the other media
- Select the tracking option for devices that are members of the group: Interactive will trigger the Desktop Billing Client to appear on end user computers Automatic will bill activity silently to a specific project or be sent to the Recycle Bin without triggering the Desktop Billing Client. To bill to a specific project, select the radio button next to Assign activity to a project and choose a Project from the drop down list.The default Status can also be adjusted. To send to the Recycle Bin, select the radio button next to Send activity to Recycle Bin
- In the Device Automation section, device membership can be configured to occur automatically based on the name of the device. The syntax of the name is a string of characters surrounded by the * wildcard character, separated by commas. Enter the wildcards and character string into the Assignment Pattern field.
- If reports will be filtered by location, select a device default from the Location drop down list.
- Click OK to save and create the Device Group.
Customize tracking by job type:
Individual job types can be configured to track using the methods described above to further refine the billing behavior.
- Double click on the Device Group to open the properties and check the box next to Advanced options.
- In the Advanced options pane, click the ellipse button next to the Job Type to be customized.
- Select the desired tracking options and click OK to save. Repeat the process for any other Job Types as needed.
Additional functions for some devices (RIP servers, MFPs, Wide Format Plotters, etc) can be added via Advanced Tracking. See Integration and Copy Tracking for specific details.