Customers who do not have the resources to deploy the Argos desktop billing client for Windows via MSI may choose to use the Argos Deployment Center instead. The Deployment Center is a lightweight, stand-alone application that can scan your Active Directory structure, identify which computers are online, and push the Argos Agent software to them.
Deployment Center Restrictions
- The Deployment Center must be run by a user who has domain administrator rights on your network
- All workstations that should receive the DtC installation should be turned on
- User Account Control (UAC) should be disabled on Windows 7 and newer machines
- Windows Firewall should be disabled on workstations
- File and Printer sharing should be enabled on workstations
- Remote Registry service should be running on workstations (this service is disabled by default on Windows 10)
- .NET 4.6 should be installed on workstations
Installing the Deployment Center
- On the Argos server, browse to C:\Argos7Installers\DeployApp and run setup.exe
- In the "Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard" window, click Next.
- In the "Communication Server Selection" window, select the Argos Communication server. If more than one server is listed, select the server that is on the same LAN as the workstations. Click Next.
- In the "Ready to Install the Program" window, click Install.
- In the "InstallShield Wizard Completed" window, click Finish.
Upgrading the Deployment Center
To upgrade the Argos Deployment Center, un-install the old version from the Windows Control Panel.
Once the un-installation is complete, follow the steps listed above to install the updated version.
Using the Deployment Center
Installing the Desktop Billing Client ONLY:
- Start the Argos Deployment Center from the Windows start menu by typing "Deployment" and selecting Deployment Application.
- The Deployment Center will scan Active Directory when launched and populate the main window with the computers found in the corresponding OUs (organizational units).
- Select View > Preferences to open the Argos Deploy Settings window. On the General Settings tab, check the box next to Enable Remote Registry service if disabled. Click OK.
- Select the Active Directory OU containing the workstations where the Argos billing client will be installed or removed. Highlight the workstation(s), right-click and select Refresh.
- The Deployment Center will scan the selected computer(s) to obtain the architecture and .NET 4.6 installation status. If the value of the .NET 4.6 Installed column is 0, install .NET 4.6 on the workstation before attempting to install the desktop billing client.
- Select the appropriate architecture option from the drop down list at the top of the Deployment Center window. For 64-bit workstations, choose AGENTx64 from the drop-down menu. For 32-bit workstations, choose AGENTx86. Then, click Install. You can deploy the client to multiple computers at the same time, but they must all have the same architecture type.
- Following a successful installation, the Agent Status column will update to Running. The Tracking product version will list the version installed and the selected Argos Communication service hosting the workstation will be listed in the Comm Svc URL column.
Installing the Desktop Billing Client AND Print Tracking engine:
The default installation the DtC through the Deployment Center installs Desktop Billing Client ONLY. For workstations with local (IP port or USB) printers, the print tracking agent must also be installed.
- Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Sepialine\Argos7\DeployApp\Cache\Agent and open the Agent.Hosts.AgentService.exe.config file in Notepad.
- Search the file text for Tracking engine. Update the related allowStart value to true. Save the file changes.
- After updating the Agent.Hosts.AgentService.exe.config file, follow the steps above listed under Installing the Desktop Billing Client ONLY: to push the Argos Agent software to the workstations.